twelve twenty-seven

Untitled

One of the best gifts one could ever receive, is to fall in love, so wholly, with literature. I'm still on the first chapters of Stoner by John Williams, and I am quiet certain it will be one of my favorites. Such simple and honest prose, it's already starting to pinch on my heart. And it must have been providential that it found me today, on my birthday.

While reflecting on a certain passage from the book, I kept thinking about this poem:
 
You came one day and
as usual in such matters
significance filled everything -
your eyes, the things you
knew, the way you turned,
leaned, stood, or sat,
this way or that: when
you left, the area around here rose
a tilted tide, and everything that
offers desolation drained away.

-- A.R. Ammons, "Everything"

We often don't have words to explain why we love the things we love. A book, a poem, a place, a person - each carry it's own weight and significance, that is inexplicable. Suddenly, our lives are fuller, and we feel connected to ourselves, and the world around us, once again. It's a wondrous thing, and I am grateful.

____

Some of you may remember that I started this blog on my birthday, 8 years ago. Here's to another year of beautiful books, movies, sunsets, and everything that inspires us. As always, thank you, for visiting and reading this little blog of mine.

With love and gratitude,
Odessa

6 comments:

  1. OMG IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! *clears throat* HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDA~AAY DEAR ODESSA! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amelia. xxo

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday, Dear friend! You are much beloved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love to you too, Elizabeth. And thank you.

      Delete